Friday, August 19, 2022

Norway 6: The drive to the Geiranger Fjord

    The next day was a long drive to the Geiranger Fjord.  It took a bit over five hours of driving due to all of the stops for photos.  This blog entry is mostly pictures, with a few short descriptions. 

This view was just a few minutes from my hotel, after I emerged from a tunnel.

This small building and the view was a ten second walk down a grassy path from an abandoned stop area.

  There were three route choices from Sunndalsora to geiranger.  One route with no ferry, one route with one ferry, and one route with two ferries.  I wanted to make sure I got to drive through Trollstigen.  Unfortunately, I somehow confused spots on Google Maps, and thought it was right outside of Geiranger, leading in.  Therefore, I chose the one ferry route.  As fortune would have it, this route drove straight through Trollstigen, which was actually northeast of the one ferry that I would take.  

  I took pictures at the bottom.  Once on the top, there was a small walk to a platform filled with tourists.  I had seen enough and so continued onward.  A handful of views just near the top were spectacular, and then the road turned into a nice forest drive through small villages.

This was the first view once I drove to the top of Trollstigen.

  The ferry turned out to be a very easy affair to manage.  You drove in a line right onto the ferry, where they guided you into parking.  They then noted your license plate and billed me through the toll transponder that came equipped on my rental.  The ferry departed immediately and takes only a a few minutes to cross.  Then there was a final, short drive until I came upon the top of the mountain, looking down on Geiranger.

Finally arriving at Geiranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment