Monday, August 1, 2022

Germany 13: Helgoland day 2 and 3: Museums, a bunker, and more birds

  For the second day on Helgoland, I visited the Helgoland museum.  It was small, and all in German, but it was cute nonetheless.  It had some history, including a timeline.  Google Translate was able to work in real time so I could follow along.  In a side room was a series of black and white art that was fairly interesting.  In the small basement were rocks and minerals.


  I scheduled a bunker and tunnel tour for the third day.  The only way to get into the tunnels was to book a tour, and they were only in German.  I was able to use Google Translate to give me a real time translation while we were above ground, but it stopped working, of course, underground.  The guide took a long time explaining what I assume was the history of the place, for long periods of time, before letting us wander forward and then stopping everyone again.  I listened to an episode of the "Fake Doctors, Real Friends" podcast with my headphones while waiting.


  Both days I spent the evening with the birds.  One of the paths to the birds takes you through privately owned gardens.


  Rather than focusing on the dead birds, I decided to focus on the life.  The babies seemed to be doing well each subsequent day, and I grew to learn and be able to predict some of their behaviors.  Both nights I ended with dinner at my usual Italian place.

No comments:

Post a Comment