Saturday, August 13, 2022

Norway 2: A walk around Trondheim in the sun

     The drive to Norway was largely uneventful, outside of having to stop for two reindeer to cross the road.  There were a handful of nice views, but nowhere to stop for pictures.  I arrived and checked into my accommodations.  I took a look at the weather report and it indicated that the following two days would be cloudy and potentially rainy.  I decided that I had to get out that first night to view the sights.  

The window of my hotel room.  It oddly only opened from the top, which meant that despite the cool weather, it was almost always hot in my room.


  I walked south to the Elgeseter Bridge, crossed it, took a picture of the odd, round building on the other side, and then walked back.  I passed the Nidaros Cathedral, and between the harsh light and hordes of people, decided to wait a little longer before doing a proper walk.


  A few hours later, I tried again, and the scene was much more to my liking.  Right nextdoor was completely unimpressive Archbishop's palace.  I found Thor's tombstone behind the church, and then followed the path toward the Old Town Bridge.

Archbishop's Palace

  The bridge had some interesting architecture to it.  The view in both directions was interesting, with colorful buildings on stilts.


  The first street past the bridge is Bakklandet, ipopular for its shops and restaurants.

  I took back streets up the hill to the 17th century Kristiansten Fortress.  There were many couples and families lounging about a taking selfies.


  I followed a path out the back and then north, through a small forest, where I encountered a small group of LARPers(live action roleplayers).  They consented to a photo.


    I continued north toward the pier with the Rockheim music museum.  


  Finally, I walked along the pier to catch sight of Munkholmen, a small island in the distance, with the sunset.


  On the way back to the hotel, I stopped at a Kiwi's grocery store.  I also passed a Japan Photo store that caught my eye, along with a street that had colorful hanging decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment