Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Germany 16: The end of my extended stay in Deutschland

   The third castle of the previous day was Burg Rheinfels.  I attempted to enter within the last hour that it was open, and they weren't supposed to allow me in.  In response, the young man at the entrance said that I looked like a student and charged me the student rate.


  That night I played some online boardgames with my friend Dave from back home.  There was a beautiful sunset view from my room.


  The next day I left first for Cochem Castle, which only allows you in by guided tours.  An English tour was beginning within ten minutes of buying my ticket.  The tour was decent, but I spent most of my time with my camera.  I did overhear that the castle was held in family until Nazi Germany, when the taxes were so high that they were forced to lose the castle.  After the war, it was returned to the region, and eventually, the town.


  The next portion of the tour was inside, which wasn't too interesting to me, outside of a free standing balcony with excellent views of the river.


  Back outside, we were shown a deep well.


  Just a few minutes away, I stopped at the final castle of my visit near the Rhine, Metternich Castle.  Unfortunately, it was mostly just one set of walls and a tower, along with a cafe.  I climbed the tour for the views, and then stopped for coffee.


  On my final full day, the temperatures reached 93.  I chose to simply hike down to town for the supermarket.  It as a surprisingly nice hike down, with some steeper sections.  I also took pictures of my castle hotel.

My castle hotel, from down at the supermarket.

  When I left the hotel, it was on a day that reached just over 100 degrees outside.  I stopped briefly at a laundromat in Russelsheim, which was right near the airport.  The airport hotel was blissfully air conditioned, with an indoor connection directly to the airport.

  As of now, Germany is the country that I've spent the second most amount of time in.  Japan sits at around 2.5 months, and now Germany clocks in at 2 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment