Saturday, March 25, 2017

UADarthMaul #13- Alhambra at night and now, across from the airport

Last night we grabbed a quick dinner at a local take out place.  Miles and I tried falafel for the first time.  At 8, we went into the Alhambra palaces again.  Unfortunately, it was a much shorter route than the daytime, but it was still beautiful, and fairly empty.

Then, we stumbled upon the Palace of Charles V, which we somehow missed during the day.  It was nearly empty and felt magical having it all to ourselves.  We went back to its the next morning as well to see it in the daylight.


Before we went to bed, however, we all played five games of Linko, which Miles and I had enjoyed in Obidos.

We went through as many local shops we could find.  While waiting for a really neat looking local Arabic themed restaurant to open, we walked to the Granada church, which unfortunately had a crane interfere with one of my camera shots. On the walk, it struck me how you could be walking down a narrow cobblestone street that looks like you are in the old world, and then you could come out of an alley and be right back into the modern world, with tons of cars and traffic lights.  Cross the street and you can be right back in the old world.  It is very bizarre, but I am sure the local residents think nothing of it and are completely used to it.

Back at the restaurant, I ordered chicken and couscous, the latter of which I had never ordered in a restaurant before.  Like every dish with meat in it that I have ordered in both Portugal and Spain, it came on the bone, inside the dish.  I do not like this!  I stripped off the meat and extricated the bones.  Much better!  Before I left, I used the bathroom and found the most awesome sink I have ever seen.



We took a taxi to the train station.  Took the bus back to the station where we had to switch over to the bus initially, on the way here.  Then, we loaded onto the high speed train to Madrid.  We went at speeds nearing and slightly over 300 kilometers.  The dining cart had great food and the seats were very comfortable.  I played a few games of Snorkels with Miles, but forgot to take pictures!  I was, however, able to get one picture of the speed with some glare on it instead.



We took a taxi from the train station to our airport hotel, located across the street from the airport.  Feels like we are headed home.  Lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment