Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Denmark 8: Reptiles, a palace, and a barred off castle on the way to Odense

  We stopped many times on the way to Odense.  Just minutes after departing Aarhus, we made a quick stop to see Marselisborg Castle, the summer royal residence.  When royalty is not visiting, it is a park that people may visit.


  Five minutes away was a supermarket, where I picked up more carrots for the deer, and then five minutes after that, we were in the park.  This time the deer up the hill from where they had been previously.


  Once we were closer to Odense, I had us stop at Terrariet, a reptile indoor zoo.  It was cute and small.  I felt bad for the animals, as I always do at these places.  They did look well cared for at least.  We had the place nearly to ourselves.










  Around the outskirts of Odense, we stopped at a sculptor's workshop, Gallery Galschiøt.  It was beautiful and weird art.










  Our last stop of the day required us to loop around town and head south.  Egeskov Castle was the main draw for us to visit this area.  unfortunately, I did not catch that the castle itself and garden surrounding it are barred off to the public in winter.  by the time I discovered this, I had already booked an unrefundable hotel.  So, I decided that we should go and make the best of it.  The cost to get in was exorbitant.  The only view of the castle that we were allowed to see, was across the water, towards the cafe.


  It is truly unfortunate that we were not permitted to get closer to the castle or see the garden at all.



  We parked our car at the hotel just outside the city center of Odense.  This hotel has free coffee.  considering every single miniature sized cup of coffee in Denmark costs $4-5, I decided to take advantage of it as much as I could the next few days!

  We spent the next day walking around town.  

Restaurant known for its Smørrebrød, but only had ones with meat.


You truly don't understand how small European cars are.

City Hall.


A building clearly named after me.




    We visited a very small museum named Tidens Samling, which had cubby rooms dedicated to the different decades of Danish homes.  It was here that I first truly realized that the hippie movement expanded beyond the US.  How embarrassing.








  Our final destination was the Brandts museum.  On previous trips, I had all but banned museums from my travels.  Being that Denmark in March was supposed to be cold, I stuck mostly to cities for the trip. And in cities there isn't much to do outside of museums, so I apologize for the abundance of galleries.











  We stopped at the local hot dog stand to get something for Miles and then took it easy for the rest of the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment