Friday, March 25, 2022

Denmark 10: Møns Klint and just Møns Klint

   Yesterday, we drove two and a half hours south east of Odense, to arrive at our bed and breakfast near Møns Klint.  Driving through Denmark has not been particularly exciting.  The land is almost entirely flat, and there just isn't much that pops out at you.  As we neared our destination, we began to see a hint of hills.  The other item that caught my eye was a beautiful, white church.

  Upon entering the bed and breakfast and seeing our room, Miles became excited for the first time.  He seemed to really enjoy the open space and farms surrounding us, as well as the size of the room itself.  He demanded to know why we weren't planning on staying here for more than one night.  It also didn't hurt that we were the only guests staying at the hotel at the moment.

  We brought in our luggage and set out for our hike around Møns Klint.  I chose the south circle loop hike for us.  We parked at the Møns Klint Geocenter, which is closed this time of the year.  It was around 1:30, and though the sun was bright, it was to the south, which meant that the light did not hit many spots on the cliffside.  The path brought us along the top of the cliff and then down five hundred steps, until we reached the beach.  We headed back north along the bottom of the cliff.  Miles occupied himself by finding rocks that he thought were special, and kept adding them to his pockets.  Eventually, we ended up at the staircase just below the parking lot, and ascended the five hundred steps upward.  

  While climbing up, we encountered a man and his dog.  His dog decided that it was going to bring a thick log with him.  To the dog's credit, it brought it up at least halfway before collapsing in a heap alongside his owner.  I chatted with the owner a bit, who was excited that I was from the US, and dreamed of seeing New York City.  He recommended that I visit Norway, where his son currently resided.  This put Norway back into my mind for future travels.

  The hike and remoteness of the location made me feel at home and exhilarated, more than I had at any other point this trip.  I thought about it over the night, and really wanted to go back and try another route before heading onward.  I made the mistake of asking Miles his opinion, which was a quick and immediate "no" to the idea of another hike.  I made the command decision to do it anyway, and so off we went.  This time we took the stairs down from the parking lot and went north until we hit the next steps.  I am glad we did.  Everything was brightly lit today.  It had been so warm the day before that I decided to go without my jacket.  The cliffs were even more beautiful on this side.

  We did a few other cool things today, but I will save that for my last entry.  I really struggled to pick out my favorite pictures.










  And if you are in the mood for some extras:











No comments:

Post a Comment