Thursday, March 17, 2022

Denmark 4: The drive to Ribe and the two castles along the way

We retraced our steps to the airport and picked up our Kia car rental.  The weather was extremely overcast, but not rainy.  About 45 minutes into the drive, we took a short detour to visit Vallø Castle.  This is a private castle, and you are allowed to walk around the surrounding park and into the courtyard, but not into the building itself.  There was no one around.  We walked from the front to back, and then continued on our way.



  About two hours later, going west, just past Middelfart, we arrived at Koldinghus.  This was a partially restored castle.  


  We worked our way along the inside of the castle until we found a forever upward spiraling tower, leading to a beautiful lookout point.







  Once we had returned to our starting point, I read a sign pointing down to the dungeon.  We went down one level and simply found a restaurant.  We came back up, and the friendly man who sold us our tickets told us to go down and to the left to find the dungeon.  We found the bathrooms with this route, but returned to the ground floor still unsuccessful.  He then showed me the exact path, and right next to the bathrooms, in an unmarked white door.  Of course.



  An hour later and we arrived at the bed and breakfast in Ribe.  Ribe is a small town with cobblestone streets and a church in the middle.  Some online sources claim that it is the oldest town in Scandinavia, dating back to the 1300s.  After settling in, we walked to pick up takeout food and I ran back while the food was being prepared, to grab my camera.






  We ate dinner and took the night off.  The next day was also relatively uneventful.  I went out for coffee, by myself, and walked around town.  I became a bit obsessed with one of the statues by the church.  I couldn't quite figure out what the statue was about.






These birds have been everywhere, from Malmo Sweden, to here in the southwestern corner of Denmark.  


  I stopped at a bakery to try out some of the local desserts.  The German woman recommended 3 items to pick up at a bakery.  This place only had one of them, with a slightly different ending.  I expected a tiny slice of the bread.  Instead, they gave me the whole loaf.






  I did not buy one of these horns, but it had me curious.  I presented the picture to the owner of the bed and breakfast.  He said they were sold in town.  I asked if it was for decoration and he said yes.  I do not think he understood what I was asking.


No comments:

Post a Comment