Monday, March 21, 2022

Denmark 7: Aarhus, where the best coffee is sold by their hot dog stands

  We spent that night and two more days in Aarhus.  The first night, I went out in search of coffee.  I wanted to avoid the two Starbucks at all costs, so I chose the Espresso House.  Despite having filtered coffee on the menu, they were all out, and so stuck me with Americano.  The problem with searching for coffee in Google Maps is that every restaurant in the city seems to be labelled as cafe, and most do not have coffee!

  We had two full days in Aarhus.  The first day I only planned to visit the botanical garden and Den Gamle By, the local and highly rated open air museum.  We walked about twenty five minutes to the botanical garden.  It was open!  Unfortunately, it was tiny and almost nothing was in bloom.



    Just around the corner was Den Gamle By.  Now, historically I am quite bored by open air museums... and this one was no different.  It was an entire make believe town.  The problem was that the real buildings in these towns already look like these same homes that were recreated!  Why go into a fake town to see fake buildings of the style that is already here and across the street!?  Inside the buildings were museums, ye old shop recreations, and all sorts of interesting historical information.  So, the insides were quite well done, I must say.






A building not far away, inside town.

  We walked back to our hotel to pay a visit to the hot dog vendor that is stationed just feet away.  On the way, we encountered a performance by a puppeteer.  The guy was incredibly talented and Miles loved it.  At the hot dog stand, Miles had two hot dogs and I had an amazing vegan hot dog, with pickles on top.  Miles was thoroughly bored, so I dropped him back off at the room and set off to a place just northeast of town, that was said to have some interesting architecture.





  I began my walk to the Iceberg condo complex.  Once I got closer, I realized that there was much more to the area than just one set of cool looking buildings.  People were wakeboarding, being pulled by a mechanized zipline.  There were some pools and huge circular hot tub.  Coffee stands, rentable shacks by the water, and some more awesome looking buildings.  I spent a good while just walking around.  The first pictures below are of the Iceberg condos.







I took this picture for the Otaku store name.









  On the way back, I spotted the first KPOP dedicated store that I have ever seen.


  I ate at a porridge restaurant named Grød.  It was absolutely fantastic and I went back the next day.  Afterwards, I had remembered that the hot dog vendor mentioned coffee on the menu, so I decided to try it.  The cost was less than half of what the coffee shops throughout Denmark charge, so I was skeptical.  It ended up being incredibly good coffee.  


  The main and only attraction of the next day was the Aros art museum.  We passed the Aarhus Rådhus clocktower along the way.



  We were told to begin the museum on the floating colored panorama walkway about the museum.  It was beautiful.  I did not take pictures to post here but by the time I thought of it, it was too late.  The next top floor had paintings that were quite beautiful and varied.  This was my favorite:


Other art floors had humongous sized installations and the basement was some weird Asian videogame art styled monstrosity.  Miles was irritated at how the top floor's artwork were mostly paintings of people.  He thought that it should have been more varied.  I explained that perhaps it was a symptom of the time that they were created.  he was unsatisfied with this response.  I then told him that I would immediately send a letter filing a complaint at their blatant favoritism of human based painting.  I have added this to the list of other complaint based letters I have had to declare this trip.  So far, this list includes the Association of Denmark Hot Dog Vendors for their inconsistency in goodness of ketchup, and to Ronald D. Moore for his lack of clarity regarding how many Cylon models there are.

  Here is a bit of what we saw:








      We walked down Møllestien Street, known for its quaint houses, and then stopped for a few quick pictures outside of the hot dog stand.






  We were both shocked and dismayed that the hot dog vendor(both my vegan hot dog and coffee supplier) was not open on Sunday!  We sadly walked back to our room.  I went out again at night for coffee, and again they were out of filtered coffee, and so I was stuck with americano again.





No comments:

Post a Comment