Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Iceland 2.6: A terrifying crater, seals, and Londrangar

     After Stephanie's covid test, we stocked up on more groceries across the street and left for Eldborg Crater.  We parked at what I think was a tourist information center and farm and took an hour and a half hike to the crater and back.  It zig zagged through regular fields and lava fields.  Once we got to the bottom of the crater, we both took off our heavier jackets.  I got my camera ready.  There were rails to help pull yourself up.  Unfortunately, once I got to the top, the wind was so fierce and the crater drop so steep, that I immediately fell to my knees.  There was a good six to seven feet of width up top, but I still was only able to get about three feet from the edge, held my hand up with my camera, got some slightly blurry shots, and then crawled back down.  I waited for Stephanie at the bottom.



    Next, we stopped at Ytri Tunga, known as a beach where seals gather.  There was light rain and I was lazy, so I left my camera in the car.  Of course, there were two seals right there in the water, just 20 feet away.  I went back to get my camera and they never got that close again.  It was still nice to see their heads bobbing so close though.






    Just down the road was the black church of Búðir, which I had seen on my first trip.  However, just before the church was what looked like a hotel, with a bunch of seals laying on the beach across a small stream from us.


    We stopped at a town called Arnarstapi, where I took a nap in the top bunk, before driving a few more minutes down the road to a lava field with a rock structure called Londrangar.  There were a few other tourists on the observation deck.  We decided to take the path down to the stones.  We had the walk all to ourselves and it brought us right up to and beyond the large rock formations.  We even discovered a few flowers growing in the lava fields.






    Our last stop was at Djupalonssandur, the beach that I had stopped at on my previous trip.  The tide was low and so we were able to walk a lot farther in than I previously could.  Our last stop of the day was up to Saxholl Crater, which had a very nicely built staircase along the side.  The view from the top was nice and not very steep.  The top had a bunch of materials dumped on the ground, as if they were about to build a station up there.  The crater was also not deep at all, despite being much taller than the previous crater we visited.  I screw up the picture of the inside of the crater, but I have a picture of the staircase down.


    We drove to Grundarfjordur to camp for the night.



No comments:

Post a Comment