Sunday, June 13, 2021

Iceland 2.11: Two small towns, the scenery between them, and a non cave

     The night after the puffin extravaganza, I waited until the light was nice and walked around town.  Just next to the campsite, I walked to the top of the Alfaborg, where there were nice panoramic views.






    I walked down into camp to take a picture of an odd camper that was there two nights in a row.





        My next stop would be Seydisfjordur.  After cresting the mounting, heading back the way I came in, I was greeted with a beautiful view, this time without the clouds.  I stopped in a supermarket, refilled my gas, and grabbed my second hot dog of the trip in Egilsstadir.  From there, it was only a twenty five minute ride to the next town.  It is known for a small rainbow walkway leading up to a church.  The weather was poor so I went into the Kaffi Lara El Grillo Bar.  It was very nice inside and I had some coffee and apple cake.  


    
    The weather was still rainy and windy, so I sat in my camper for a while.  The wind pushed the camper back and forth.  Cold, I spent some time in the indoor part of the campgrounds, and then went for a last minute hot tub visit at the local swimming pool.

    I woke up the next day to sunshine, though it was still colder than it had been in northern Iceland.  This time I walked through town and behind it, on a path up the mountains, to see something called Tvisongur.  Like many towns in Iceland, the main tourist street was nicely maintained, but the farther away you got from it, the more ragged the buildings and surrounding area looked.










    Tvisongurwas a five sectioned "sounds structure." It has to do with five tone harmony.  I don't really understand it to be honest.  It was not well maintained, with glass on the floor.  Making noise when on the inside resulted in a strange echo.




        Leaving town, I traveled to Neskaupstadur, stopping at a coffee shop named Nesbaer.  I had an odd banana cake with different types of cream.  It was excellent.  Then, I parked at the end of town, near the cliffside.  Reviews wrote about a cave that you could walk to.  Other reviews pointed out that it was not a cave at all, rather just an area with a rock overhang.  It was a nice walk in sun, with strong winds.  After a short time, I found a rickety, rusty ladder that allowed me to climb down.  The beach area was made up of many loud rocks.  When the water pulled back to the ocean, it made the rocks clang against each other to make a sound like lightning.







    While driving to the camp at Faskrudsfjordur, there is a bright orange lighthouse.  A review online explains that this is on private property and they had an angry exchange with the person that lived there.  I took a picture by the road.

    I decided to have a dinner at a local restaurant that was open late, called Cafe Sumarlina.  I had a vegan pesto pasta dish that was fantastic.



No comments:

Post a Comment