Monday, June 7, 2021

Iceland 2.5: A second chance at an arctic fox, a farm, and a lighthouse amid lava fields

     We woke up to a bird chirping incessantly above us.


    Today we planned to drive to the Snaefellsnes peninsula, which I visited briefly the last time I was in Iceland, but Stephanie had never been there before.  We started driving south, when, before long, I spotted another arctic fox.  Learning from my mistakes the previous day, I got some nice shots.




    
    We decided to stop at the Holar Farm, which we skipped on the way up because of rain.  It was showing as closed every day but Sunday but it was right off the road so I figured it couldn't hurt to try.  We pulled up and a man explained that they don't open for the season until June fifteenth.  We sat in our car for a minute to reset the gps when a young girl walked over and said that her brother would give us the tour anyway.

    The brother was fourteen years old and friendly.  He first brought us to the goat area, to hang out with the goats and their babies.  Stephanie got to hold a baby and I got to feed an adult.  At one point, even the puppies were trying to play with the prancing baby goats.







Next up were the rabbits, with a red eyed rabbit that I was fascinated by.


There was a single massive female pig that immediately took a liking to me, and showed it by nudging into me which would cause me to fall back quite a bit.  My weight was no match for its.


We passed some chickens on the way to the inside enclosure.  Here they were keeping a raven who had some kind of malfunction with its feet.  We fed him an egg.  Stephanie held a blind guinea pig.






Lastly, we got to see some horses.


As we were leaving, the owner was driving around in his tractor with his two dogs.


    We drove into the peninsula and stopped at a supermarket for coffee in Grundarfjordur.  We stopped by the famous kirkjufell mountain and waterfalls, which I had seen on my first trip.  They had cordoned off most of the photography spots that were close to the falls.  I guess the heavy traffic of tourists had led them to this decision.  We drove all the way to the northwest corner of the peninsula to take a look at the Svortuloft Lighthouse.  On the way through the winding lavafield path there, there was a stopover at the beautiful beach there.




 

    Behind the lighthouse were birds nesting on the small cliffs.


    We then drove all the way to Borgarnes, as Stephanie had to get her PCR test done for her flight back home, and it needed to be done within 72 hours of the flight.


No comments:

Post a Comment