Sunday, June 13, 2021

Iceland 2.12: A snowy day and some reindeer

     Today I woke up to snow and cold.  I gave it some time to clear up, but it didn't.  I hit the road for the short journey to Djupivogur.  I purposely drove slow and stayed along the outside route along the water.  It was a bit windy and there were not many stopovers in the snowier spots, but I grabbed these two pictures.




    I found many sheep near the road, so took yet another picture.


   

    I tried stopping at a farm run coffee shop named the Havari Farm, but there was a paper on the door stating that they would be closed all summer.  I had to come up with a new place to eat and so chose Vid Voginn at my intended destination.  On the last road to town, I spotted 3 deer.  Luckily, there was a pullover right there, so I shut off the car and took some pictures.



    I went back into the van and dried off my lens and camera.  I looked up and the deer were gone.  I turned the car back on and drove a few feet forward, and apparently these deer had crossed the road while my head was down, and were right in front of another fortuitous dirt pull over area.  This time I shut off the car there and took pictures from the window, as they were fairly close and I did not want to disturb them.





    I had "chicken bread" at the restaurant, which was a salad and chicken on top of a piece of toasted bread, and my daily coffee.  I asked the waitress if it was common to get snow here in June.  She said that it was very much not.  Some Icelanders were watching a football game.  I was looking up the campsite when a second campsite popped up, just 20 minutes back down the road that I had come from.  It rated higher than any other that I had seen in Iceland.  It also apparently had a guesthouse called Ferðaþjónustan Fossárdal, with a room available for about sixty dollars.  With the snow still raging, I decided to book my first hotel stay since the first night.

    I arrived at the guesthouse and had a long chat with the woman in charge.  Not many people would be staying here tonight and so I would have half of the house to myself and my own back entrance.  The place was supposed to have a washing machine, but she informed me that it was currently broken.  At least the shower works.

    While reviewing photos, I found two more pictures that I liked from the last puffin day.




No comments:

Post a Comment