Thursday, November 2, 2017

The lost day of Dragoncon

I was lazy and never got around to writing about our final day at dragoncon.  I don't have any pictures of the two or so panels that we saw that day, but I do have some notes.

We went to a final Battlestar panel that final Monday morning.  I got up to ask a question.  Some of my favorite scenes of the show, I found out through behind the scenes commentaries, were improvised by the actors.  I asked the panel if they had any memorable scenes in mind that involved improv.  Mr. Hogan(Tigh) answered by saying that in a pivotal scene of the series, Edward James Olmos punched a mirror.  The blood you saw was real blood from the blow.  Separately, I also learned that Alessandro Juliani(Gaeta) was a professionally trained opera singer.  I had always loved one song they had him sing in the series, so it is nice to know this additional bit of background information.

In what I believe to be our final panel of the show, was Gates McFadden and Marina Sirtis, along with Trek track host, Garret Wang.  The two women spoke about their struggles with gender discrimination in Star Trek: The Next Generation, which had Gates quit during the second season, before renegotiating her contract and returning for season three, and Marina constantly changing outfits throughout the seasons.  Garret relayed a a story of similar undertones, where he spoke about rampant racism that he experienced growing up in Tennessee. 

Then, we visited the art show.  We picked up a few pieces that we liked.



We spent the end of the day browsing the vendor rooms.  I ended up passing Nicholas Brendan's booth.  I recognized him from Coherence, which we greatly enjoyed watching while in Vietnam.  I went over to him and told him how much I loved the movie and shook his hand.  Last month, I read that he was arrested for domestic violence against his girlfriend.

During a final pass of the vending room, I found an artist whose work I recognized.  His name was Tad Stones.  I looked him up on Google, and indeed, he was the artist behind Darkwing Duck.  Darkwing is Jeremy's online alias, so I had to pick something up.  Unfortunately, as I had not found him til these last minutes of the convention, all of his Darkwing drawings were gone.  I picked up a handmade drawing of a villain from the show, The Liquidator, and had it signed to Jeremy.




Other items brought home from the Convention-

Handrawn and signed to me:



The Enterprise, signed by Marina Sirtis, Michael Dorn, Gates McFadden, Jonathan Frakes, and Brent Spiner:



I asked Michael Dorn to sign "Good Tea, Nice House," a quote a loved from many years ago.



I also added Katee Sackhoff's signature to my Battlestar picture.  I asked her to write "Nothing but the rain."  I apologize for the quality of the picture.



In two weeks from tomorrow, I go back to Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment