Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Japan 2.3: Yamadera Temple and Yamagata

I chose Yamagata for two reasons.  Yamadera Temple and Okama crater.  Unfortunately, I didn't find out until two weeks ago that Okama is closed in for a short window at this time of the year.

We woke up this morning to a mostly Japanese breakfast.  I was glad for the change and enjoyed eating much more healthy than usual.  Luckily, Miles was able to find some items to satisfy him.

We left fairly early on for Yamadera, which was a 20 minute train ride away. Yamadera temple is up on a mountain of over a thousand steps.  It is in a very small town.



  Unfortunately, it really was too short of a hike in my opinion.  I would have preferred something two to three times the length.  Miles enjoyed the hike as well as seeing the cats that roamed the area.  It had some nice views, but I was slightly disappointed overall.



We found a pretty cool rain gutter on one of the buildings.



At the top was a Buddha statue with a sign asking not to take photos.  I obliged.  We had passed people raking leaves on the way up.Back at the bottom, we found leaves forming a shape.



After arriving back in Yamagata, we took a short break before heading to local Kajo Park.  We visited a free museum inside, labeled only as Yamagata Local Museum on Google Maps.  It was of a hospital that used Western medicine.  Outside the building was a super funky looking tree.



Nearby was the Yamagata Prefectural Museum.  It had a section with rocks and the like, a section about the town's history, dress, and music, and a third section about animals.  Reading the guidebook, local elementary school kids found fossils of a new type of sea cow.  As the museum did not allow pictures in this section, I again did not take any.

The castle on the grounds was undergoing restoration, but we took a picture in front of it.



Following a guide online, we took a long rectangular walk around town.   I expected it to be like the old towns I had been to on my first trip.  Instead, it was a generic city.  I have no idea what that guide was about.  The circuit was about 3 kilometers.



We decided to call it a day afterwards, and went back to our room to do the laundry.  Tomorrow, we leave for Nikko, a town known for its many temples.




No comments:

Post a Comment