Saturday, November 25, 2017

Japan 2.6: Nikko Part Two- More temples, a waterfall, and Miles' woodcarving training

Right next to the Tayuin Temple was the Futarasan Shrine.  We were greeted by a golden god, alongside two silver rats.  I liked the rats.  There was also a tree trunk that was hallowed out, along with a sword in a stone.  Unlike Merlin's sword, this one had no handle.  I told Miles that whomever pulled it out would become emperor, but would be fingerless.



Down a path, we came to a five story pagoda, along with the entrance to the biggest temple complex yet, the Toshogu Shrine.  Miles was not impressed with the pagoda, but I found it absolutely incredible!  There were many beautiful buildings here.  We first followed the path and made a right turn, to an entrance marked on the map with "sleeping cat" as the label.  Sure enough, there was a sleeping cat carved into the entrance.  We climbed many steps before reaching "Iuyasu's Tomb."  I wasn't impressed, to be honest.  Nearby, people were lined up, for what I presume to be for prayer.



The main temple itself did not allow photography.  Most of the insides were made of what looked like gold.  There were goddess statues on the side of the main room, with a dragon on the ceiling.  We were stopped and someone explained, in Japanese, about the ceiling.  He banged two wooden blocks, while people looked at the ceiling.  I didn't see anything.

We left the temple area and hiked along a beautiful forest path, called the Takino'o Path.  Buddhist priests had trained themselves in this area until the start of the Meiji era.  In any case, it lead to a waterfall and a set of nearby steps led to a small shrine.



As we walked back to town, we stopped at a restaurant that seemed to have decent reviews, named Hippari-Dako.  Miles picked pork cutlet.  I picked Udon soup, which also had a few vegetables in it, along with tempura made of carrots, which I had yet to encounter.  Also, there was a white slice of something, with pink swirls, which I avoided.  I asked the woman who brought us the check what this was, in Japanese.  She replied that it was naruto, fish.  I looked this up online, and Narutomaki is a type of cured fish surimi.  I am glad I skipped it.  I also ordered chicken and yakisoba noodles, for us to try.  The Udon was the best that I have had thus far in Japan.  Miles loved his dish, and the third dish was just ok.  Of note was that Miles tried some of the tempura, which was in my soup, and liked it.



We arrived back at the hotel shortly after.  I noticed this time that my head hits the door frame if I do not slightly duck to enter.  This is odd, since the room's height is quite high.  It is just the door frame that is on the low side.  In any case, my legs were so sore, and I was so tired, that I took a short, hot bath, and we went straight to bed after.  Miles did an incredible job with handling all the walking.

We didn't leave the hotel the next morning until after 12:30.  Our destination was the Nikko Woodcarving Center, about a thirty minute walk away.  I found this workshop on google, through many searches.  Since Miles loves creating art, I thought that he might enjoy it.   On the way, we crossed a bridge with a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains.



The woodcarving experience cost roughly $13.80.  He was to pick between a mirror, a plate, and a few other shapes, for which to carve on.  Then, he was to pick a design, between a cat, a dragon, some moneys, and a few others.  He went straight for the cat.

We were ushered into a room, where two other children were busy carving.  The main instructor did not speak any English, but the woman who brought us to the room knew a handful of words.  Mostly by watching, rather than listening, Miles was able to catch on to the technique.  You had to grip the tool as if you were making a fist, rather than holding it like a pencil.  Then, you have to put a finger from your other hand on the other end of the curved cutting edge, making sure to keep your thumb on that hand from being within line of the cutting.  I tried it a bit.  It was harder than it looked.



We walked nearly all the way back to the hotel, when Miles suggested going straight to eat then(at around 3:00).  We had planned to go back to the same restaurant as the night before, and they closed between 5 and 6 PM, and then reopened later.  Instead of going to the hotel and then leaving in an hour, we decided to follow his suggestion.  This time, as the third dish, I ordered extra tempura.  We both took one.  Miles dipped his in my soup again.

Now, we are back in the hotel for the night.  I am planing on trying the hotel's hot spring tonight.  Miles isn't interested.  Tomorrow, we leave for a one night stay in a temple in Nagano.

No comments:

Post a Comment