Saturday, November 25, 2017

Japan 2.5: Nikko Part 1: A dragon artist, temples, and an "abyss"

Yesterday was an incredibly eventful day.  According to a rough estimate by google, we walked over 12 kilometers.  Today, in contrast, we took a day mostly of rest, even though we did end up walking for an hour and a half anyway!  Instead of making one massive post and one tiny one, I am going to add them together and split them down the center.  This is part one.

We started at around 10 AM and walked toward the center of activity in town, Shinkyo Bridge.  Just before we got there, we stopped in an art store that caught my eye while doing research into the area.



We ordered 3 pieces, to be picked up later in the day, as he draws them on demand.  Miles was thirsty, so I used a nearby vending machine to get him water.  As I was grabbing the change from the return slot, I noticed something small and white drop onto my hand.  I looked up, to see if there was a bird nearby.  It turned out that it started to snow very gently. 

If you look close, after zooming in, you can see the snow.

A few minutes later and we were at Shinkyo Bridge.



We walked onward, toward Kanman-ga-fuchi Abyss.  It was reported to be beautiful.  Now, I don't know if the meaning and word abyss was somehow lost in translation, but there definitely was no hole in the ground.  Instead, we found a beautiful, rocky stream, along with a bunch of statues that had been mildly dressed in red.



We doubled back toward Shinkyo Bridge, taking a small detour to the Nikko Tamozawa Imperial Villa Memorial Park.  At the entrance, we saw a family that was dressed in traditional Japanese garb, likely for some sort of occasion.  We later saw them walking the grounds, where visitors were not permitted, so it must have been.



The Villa was a mansion created for the emperor in 1899.  It apparently has 106 rooms.  It indeed was massive, with many small gardens that it enclosed.  There was also a 400 year old tree along the border.  As is typical for this style museum in Japan, we had to take off our shoes before entering.  Miles wasn't too enthralled with this idea.  It would be the first of many times that we would have to do it(every temple).



We left for the temple part of town.  Right before our first major temple complex, we entered a smaller, free temple.  As we left, one of the charms being displayed caught my eye.  I have enclosed a picture, along with the description given.  I bought it because I thought the peacock was cute.



Next door was the Taiyuin Temple complex.  The first building was covered in plastic, undergoing renovation.  I pointed a nearby area with ladles.  I explained that I had witnessed people on my first trip using the water, in a show of respect.  We watched as a nearby couple used the ladle to catch incoming spring water and wash their hands.  I don't know how much appreciation Miles has at his age for the beauty and age of these temples, but maybe one day he will.



This is where I unceremoniously end this post.  Continue on to part two now!



No comments:

Post a Comment