Monday, July 22, 2019

Alaska cruise 2: Three port stops, with my first sighting of bald eagles

Our first port stop was in the small town of Skagway.  Stephanie and I walked down the main street and back, stopping to meet up with the family to watch a movie at the visitor's information center.  I returned to the ship to relax while Stephanie visited a local cemetery and then went for a guided walk.


The next day was Stephanie's father's birthday, and so we spent the day doing an excursion from the port of Juneau.  First, we were taken to the local salmon hatchery.  I went straight up the ramp, ahead of the group, to where I saw an eagle perched.  Just beyond this younger eagle were a few dozen eagles off on an island.  I stayed on the deck for the next thirty minutes, watching the eagles and taking pictures.


As we were walking out, I took pictures of the jumping salmon.  It was a little sad.


Our next stop was at the Mendenhall Glacier.  We hiked a short way to a waterfall, with the glacier behind it.


The final stop was to the Glacier Gardens, a garden with a tram ride to the top of a mountain with views of the surrounding area.



I was out of commission for the final port of Ketchikan, due to health problems.  I spent most of the day sleeping, after making a lengthy business related call.  The final cruise day was out at sea.  I had a spectacular time on the cruise and it made me reconsider cruising in general. 

I had stomach problems, but that was mostly caused by my overeating of food that I should not have been eating.  I had no considered the possibility of cruises being able to take you to areas of natural beauty in the world that you normally would not be able to easily reach through means of normal travel.  It is definitely something I will consider in the future, as long as I am able to control myself when it comes to the allure of the food!

No comments:

Post a Comment