Tuesday, June 11, 2019

South Korea 8: The Busan tower, book alley, black bean noodles, and the hike to Seokbulsa

That night I finally got to try the black bean noodle dish named jajangmyeon.  Miles tried a noodle with seafood, pork, and vegatives despite his reservations.



We passed an interesting noodle display where chopsticks would pull noodles upward.  Then we walked a short ways to the Bosu Book Street, a narrow alleyway where many small bookshops are run.



When it was nearing sunset, we took multiple sets up escalators up a mountain, where there is a tower you can go up.  I would not go up of course, but Miles wanted to.  Luckily for me, since it was a Monday, it was closed.



We took an elevator to the third floor of the restaurant that is connected to it, for some pictures.  We were both too tired to wait a little longer to see if the sunset became anything of note.



On our way home, we passed a store named the Gentle Monster.  There was a machinelike contraption inside with moving tentacles.  There were some devices along the side walls, I assume for sale, but I did not get a close look.  I urged Miles to go up to the monster but he was too hesitant, so we left.  As we were about to enter our hotel, I spotted a black cat hovering over a spotlight that lit up his face nicely.



Today we woke up early.  Originally I planned to have us hike as the third location on our list, but decided to move it to the first.  This turned out to be a good move.  We took a ropeway up to the top of a mountain and began what was not supposed to be a super long hike.  I ended up misreading the directions and took a wrong turn.  I asked multiple groups if we were going the right way.  Some had no idea, while others told us to keep going.  I reread the instructions and caught my mistake.  We had walked about fifteen minutes off the track.  We retraced our steps and took the correct path. 

It was a trek through a forest, going up and down and eventually down farther.  Sunlight appeared only for a few moments.  We tried to spot some bugs like the other day.



We came upon two men, one of which was doing the hoola hoop on a rock, right in the middle of the forest.  Just a bit beyond him we finally reached a road that led upward to the Seokbulsa temple.  The last stretch was the most strenuous.  When we reached the top, there was just one man there, praying.  I turned my camera on silent.



As we were walking down, I found a caterpillar.  I spent some time on the ground trying to photograph it.



We continued down until we reached the town and then took a long bus ride to the GoEun Museum of Photography.  It was free, but unfortunately it was just TWO small rooms worth of pictures!  One was of factory machinery, which was apparently the current theme, and the other was a mix. 

The museum was picked because it was rated well, but was also close to another temple that everyone online mentions.  Unfortunately, we were so tuckered out at this point that we decided to go home.  I wanted to have dumplings again, and the best I could find was a place that people seemed to like, that was not far from our hotel, in Chinatown.



The dumplings were very good and very reasonably priced.  We went straight back to our room to rest.  Tomorrow we fly to the island of Jeju.

No comments:

Post a Comment