Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Scotland 2.5: Lots of birds and a funky cave

I am really enjoying breakfast times at the bed and breakfasts here in Scotland.  Today was no exception.  There were two Scottish women at the table along with a German fellow and his Sudanese wife.  

After breakfast, we boarded our boat tour, which would bring us to the Treshnish Isles and Staffa Island.  Our first stop was Treshnish, about a fifty minute boat ride away.  We hiked around the island toward a big rock, pointed out by the captain of the boat.  There was an absolutely ludicrous amount of birds sitting upon it.  The birds were a combination of guillemot and puffins.  It was quite noisy.


After absorbing this scene for a while, we continued onward, finding smaller patches of birds, along the edge of the cliff.



We continued toward the back of the island and then slowly went up the mountain.  About two thirds of the way up, we split, with them continuing down the other side to go back to the bird colony, and myself continuing onward to the top.  Aside from the nice breeze, there wasn't much to see there.  I made my way back down to them and we relaxed by the birds until it was time to head back.

As we were walking back, I stopped to take pictures.  An older lady approached me from behind and asked me if I had seen the nest we had just passed.  I had completely missed it, as I'm usually quite focused on my footwork when anywhere near a side of a cliff.  She showed me the nest, just a few steps away from where I had been.  The bird had beautiful eyes.



We departed, with our next destination being Staffa Island, known for its unusual look and Fingal's Cave, which goes through the island.  On our way, the boat slowed down and pointed out some seals in the distance.



I booked this tour in January.  In late March, I received an email from them explaining that the cave had undergone erosion in the winter, and it was undergoing repairs, but they did not know if it would be opened again in time for our arrival.  We were allowed to go up to the cave entrance, however there was then a sign that said not to enter beyond this point.  A few people did anyway, though most did not. 



On our way home, the boat stopped to see a group of porpoises jumping around.  Then, we returned home.



At the gift shop/postoffice/tourist/tackle shop, I got myself an interesting ice pop that was pineapple and lemon, swirled around strawberry.  It was very interesting.  I tried vegetable curry for dinner.  Overall, the trip's winner for newest food goes to the millionaire shortbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment