Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Scotland 2.10: Steall Falls, the end, and my thoughts.

On our final day in Scotland, we decided to go on one last hike, before driving to the airport hotel.  Steall Falls, said to be the second largest waterfall in Scotland,  was about a 25 minute drive from Fort William.  I had read that the hike took between 1.5-2 hours in total, walking to the waterfall and back. 

A twisty one lane road took us to the parking lot.  The weather was cloudy, with occasional drizzling.  The path was nice.  It was rocky and took us through many smaller waterfalls.



In less than forty minutes, the path opened up into a field. Miles, despite complaining when we began, was actually disappointed in how short the walk was.  We got lucky, and the sun came out for a bit, and we had only a few seconds of drizzle.



Nearby was a rope bridge, allowing us to follow a path that led us right up to the falls.  Miles was unable to reach both sides of the top ropes, so held on to just one side.  He was incredibly brave, as the height of course bothered me.



We crossed the boggy ground and climbed some rocks in order to be just underneath.



We returned to our hotel, collected our belongings, and began the two and a half hour trip to our airport hotel.  Despite looking a bit rundown on the outside, the Holiday Inn Express was beautiful inside.  We hooked up the laptop to the tv and finished watching Robin Hood: Men in Tights.  Then, we watched a netflix show that discussed Monty Python sketches, through the eyes of different comedians, such as Jim Carry and Mike Myers.

Some final thoughts:

I had anticipated Skye as being the highlight of the trip.  Instead, I found Glencoe to be the most beautiful region, with its majestic mountains.  I wish I had had more time to explore it.  Kerrerra and Lismore were my favorite days and hikes.  I am glad that the boat tours allowed Miles to see some exotic animals.  I enjoyed the first one much more than the second, which I didn't feel offered much other than the luck of seeing Dolphins up close. 

The one lane roads are tiresome and jarring with their windiness and necessity of making sudden stops when encountering other drivers.  I disliked how there were never mirrors to help alleviate the windy roads or blind summits.  I greatly disliked the lack of toilet facilities throughout our trip, with Skye being the worst offender.

The owner of the bed and breakfast in Skye had told us not to worry when walking around Scotland, because there are no trespassing laws in Scotland.  Upon returning home, I googled this, and this appears to be incorrect.  It must be a myth that gets passed around.

No comments:

Post a Comment