Sunday, August 6, 2017

Japan 21: How Shimanami Kaido kicked my Part II, Buddha statues, hell, and marble

I decided to skip breakfast, as I have stomach problems, and didn't want to ride on a full stomach.  It started off as an uphill ride, which didn't do much to improve my spirits.  Finally, I arrived at a downhill portion, which led me up to the next bridge.  After another painful uphill climb, I rode across the bridge.  I continued on and the next bridge followed the same pattern.



The next area had more pleasant visuals, including a nicer bridge.



I didn't include any views from the islands themselves because there honestly wasn't much to see, and I was trying to push my muscles to the max, while ignoring the mounting pain in my rear.  I even added my second, larger towel, to the seat.  It did not help much.  After crossing this bridge, I was thrilled to finally be on the final island of my newly determined route.  It was a fairly large island, but luckily stayed mostly flat.  I passed a building with more life sized dolls.



I reached the tourist center almost exactly three hours after I started biking.  I dropped off the bike and put my bags in the coin lockers.  My butt felt immediate relief.  I popped into the Hirayamaikuo Museum.  It only had four rooms, but it was air conditioned and the paintings were pleasant.  They often showed the age that the painter had been when creating each, including some from when he was 11.



Behind the building, was the Kosan-ji Temple complex.  The entrance way was familiar enough to other temples.



Some of the buildings had artwork inside, which was different as far as temples are concerned.



Further up the path, there was a tunnel.  Inside, the walls were lined with Buddha statues.  The tunnel lead to an area with artwork that seemed to depict hell.  I thought it was incredibly cool, and a bit different than anything I've encountered so far.  There were many, many pictures here.



Soon after, the cave opened into a larger area, where hundreds of Buddha statues were attached to all surfaces.



The tunnel began to climb, and you exited through a small temple building.  I explored some temples and gardens, starting to walk back towards the entrance.  Then, I saw people coming from a small section that I had overlooked, and remembered some of what I read about the place.  Walking up the back path led to stairs and an elevator.  It wasn't many steps, so I didn't understand the need.  The walkway was all marble, with random creations of marble.  I hadn't experienced a place quite like it before.  It also gave some great panoramic views of the area.



I grabbed my bags and took the ferry to the town of Onomichi.  I checked into my hotel at 2:30.  They said that check in time was 3:00, and Japan seems to be very strict with these things.  I said no problem.  I took off my socks, laid down on their cushion benches, and began stretching.  Five minutes later, I was told my room was ready.

After a rest, I decided to check out the local "cat alley," which began the climb to a small park on the local mountain.  The alternative was taking the ropeway car.  I preferred the exercise anyway.  The reviews of cat alley were mixed.  It seemed to be forced rather than naturally a cat alley, from reviews.  My expectations were low.

There are small stones with painted cats on them, mostly faded.  There are some signs and decorations along the way.  One "museum" was closed.  I went in the other.  It was overpriced at $3, but I figured that I might as well.  It was two rooms.



A few more feet up the mountain and there was a small, cat themed store.  There wasn't much of interest, but there was a cool drawing.



I asked the guy in the store where the nearest vending machine was.  He drew me a map.



While walking up the path, I came to a blocked off section and couldn't go higher up the mountain.  I started to worry, when I remembered the map!  He had drawn the pagoda I was next to, and showed that you need to go down and around before continuing upward.  Thanks cat store man!

As I continued climbing, I encountered three small kittens.  I took some pictures and watched them play for a little while.



At the top of the mountain, they continued the cat theme.



By this time, I was exhausted.  I relented, and took the ropeway down.  It was terrifying.  I stayed at the back, to avoid the views.  It was windy, and there were many people in the car.  We bounced and swayed in the wind.  I took deep breaths.



I wake up super early tomorrow, in order to take trains to Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment