Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Japan 18: Art island, eh? Maybe VR is better suited for exploring art islands.

Naoshima is billed as art island.  This morning, I decided on a path to walk around the island, hitting the art installations along the way.  First, I walked down near the beach portion of my hotel, taking pictures of the art.



There were only a few pieces but they were nice enough.  Then, I walked northeast towards a small village.  It was about a thirty minute walk.  Upon entering town, I saw an art structure, which served as a bike rack.


Spread across the village are art houses.  The artist takes an empty house and creates art with it.  Most were completely ridiculous.  One, for example, had you sitting in a pitch black room, and there was apparently a small light at the end.  As your eyes adjust, you are supposed to see the light a bit brighter.  I didn't know to wear my glasses, however, so I saw nothing.  One had just a rock in the garden and a few flowers on a mat in a small room.



The one I enjoyed the most had air conditioning, in a dark room, with a small pool.  The pool had numbers of different colors lit up.  The numbers were counting upward, from one to nine and then back to one again, like a stopwatch in reverse.  They were all moving at different speeds.  I took a picture and then a short, bad video.




Others were clearly inspired to try their hand at art themselves, as I saw two young women painting with an easel in the village.



Next, I walked southwest to see the two major museums of the island.



The first museum was the biggest ripoff I have ever experienced when it comes to museums, the Lee Ufan "museum."  For $10, you got to see 3 rooms with mostly nothing in it, along with a small corridor.  The outside had showed promise, but it is absolutely ridiculous that they had the nerve to call themselves a museum and charge such a price.



The next museum was declared online to be one of the best contemporary museums in the world.  It had a price of $20 and was a little better.  The architecture, again, was fairly interesting, and again, like Myst.  There were five Monet paintings in a white room.  For the white room, they made you put on tiny slippers, that were a few sizes too small for my feet.

Two exhibits that I was unable to take pictures of, were ok.  One had you walk up steps and into a light blue room.  When you turned around, you saw neon lights above the doorway, and you saw the yellow or orange light from the outside.  The other was steps and then a big, black ball, with large chimes like objects on the white walls.



Here are the two I couldn't take pictures of, from http://www.aktionsart.org/blogposts/2013/10/12/interior-study-chichu-art-museum:



As I left this museum, I gave some thought to its worth.  Clearly, money was spent on architecture and giving these places a unique feel.  I couldn't help but think back to Myst, or more relevant, the developer's newest creation, Obduction.  What makes it more relevant is that it is virtual reality headset compatible.  You could use one of the new VR devices and look around inside the game.  So, instead of having a tiny museum that you could walk through in five minutes, you have whole worlds to explore, as well as dozens of hours of puzzles to solve and story to follow.  The detail in today's games combined with the ability to look around as if you are there, kind of makes these kind of museums a bit outdated.



Courtesy of http://www.onlysp.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Obduction_02.jpg , http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/20160909130145_1.jpg ,
http://adventures-index9.blogspot.jp/2015/06/quern-undying-thoughts-screenshots.html

I continued walking east, back to the port that I had walked to yesterday.  I found a beautiful roof tile along the way, as well as a flower.



It was time for an early dinner.  Despite Google showing places open, the only place that I could find was a coffee shop.  Luckily, they had a small food menu.



I decided that I should try to enjoy the water surrounding the island.  I didn't go in much further than my knees, but the water was incredibly calm and serene.



On my way back to the hotel, I bumped into my friend, the cat.



I did my laundry, and then decided to finally view the hotel's museum, after hours.  The museum was small, but had some cute pieces.



Tomorrow, I head off of the island and go to Iya Valley.  A recent search showed me something new that intrigues me, in the area.  It will be a lot of driving, but I may either head straight there tomorrow, or simply go to the ryokan and wait for the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment