Sunday, May 28, 2017

FB3: The Gorge, part II

This morning we woke up later than we had anticipated.  Jeremy gathered the Gorge maps from the hotel owner while we slept.  We were to backtrack with our car, take a 24km loop route with great views, and then continue on a larger loop around the Gorge, which would lead us back to the beginning, near the lake.

On our way to the loop with the view, we found a 200 meter rocky hiking trail.  It was enjoyable, with some nice viewpoints near ledges.  This, of course, meant that I took one glance over, took a picture, and then quickly retreated a few feet to be at a safe distance.  Jeremy had no issues with the heights and encouraged Miles to stand next to him.



We found the loop and went halfway around, where we found a cafe on the cliff side.  After a quick break, we continued about 30 seconds before we hit signs that indicated we could not go beyond.  Apparently, we were supposed to take the loop coming from the other direction, because half of the route is only one way!  We backtracked and skipped the other half.

We continued the greater loop around the Gorge.  We encountered a bridge with people going bungie jumping.  Miles asked if he could do it.  I said no.



At the highest point, our car indicated that we were at an altitude of 1210 meters, or roughly 3960 feet(if I remember Jeremy's translation correctly).  I am too tired to look it up now.  Eventually, we hit the lake.

We rented a paddle boat for an hour and a half.  We took it under a bridge and into the Gorge for some beautiful sights.  On the way back, Miles and I jumped in an swam in the lake.



When paddling, I noticed one boat off to the side, where all four passengers were staring at their phones.  This made me sad.



Back in town, we set out for a much needed dinner.  Unfortunately, the restaurants did not open until 7:00, so we had half of an hour to spare.  I wanted to take a look at the shops, but noone wanted to join me.  I left them behind and looked myself.  One of the shops were closed, but had an interesting theme inside.



I ended up finding something I really liked in one of the shops, just as it was closing.  We decided to eat outside for dinner.  There were a few flies around, and Miles was getting very irritated with them.  He asked me why it wasn't bothering me.  I explained that it was very pleasant outside.  I continued that for most of human history, there were not modern conveniences like air conditioning, and that people spent a lot of time outdoors and they didn't let these things bother him.  He responded with the quote of the trip so far, "It's not my fault that I was born in a house."

 We will be going to sleep early tonight, so we could wake up earlier in the morning.  I set my alarm for 8:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment