Friday, May 3, 2024

India 2: Around Jaipur

   Our first stop was east and into the mountains, to Hanuman Temple.  The Uber driver randomly stopped at the side of the road, with no warning, to buy himself some fruit at roadside stands.  At the temple entrance, I bought a ticket that allowed one single camera photography, and began walking through.  

  A few steps into the complex, a man asked me to come into his small temple. I knew that this would end with him asking for money, but went anyway.  He put red dye on my forehead, said something in Hindi, and sat next to me.  Then the tip request followed.  Monkeys ran around the courtyard.  I ascended a few steps, and entered an area with water.  There was a man sitting inside, and asked me about currency.  I mumbled something about not having US currency on me, and began taking pictures.  The monkeys were so socialized that you could walk right up to them.  One chatty fellow decided to try the monkey on the shoulder trick, once tried Miles in Morocco.  He then suggested that I hand over my expensive camera, so he could take a picture of the monkey and I.  This of course would not happen.  He pulled the monkey off of me.



  There was a final set of steps that I climbed up.  I passed a small, very green body of water.  It was full of people.  Back at the parking lot, I went in search for my Uber.  A tuk tuk driver warned me that Ubers were not allowed.  I stepped into my Uber and drove away.  

  Next, we stopped briefly by a side walk, with views of Jal Mahal.  This palace had submerged into a lake.  The northern part of my expedition was a stepwell.  Images of stepwells were part of my burgeoning interest in India.  Panna Meena ka Kund was the one stepwell on my trip.

No one was walking down the stepwells, so I wasn't sure if that would have been allowed.  I would have loved to go dwn though.  Dogs had gone a few steps down.  Just across the street was the Bihari Ji Temple, which had not been on my radar.

                                       

                                       


  Just down the road was the Shri Jagat Shiromani ji Temple.  As we were driving, the driver lowered my window.  Someone on the street was insisting that I should go to the Amber Fort with him as a guide.  I declined.  Without convenience stores in the city, I was desperate to find one.  We found one here in the north. When I paid at the cash register, he asked if I wanted change back.


  Closer to the city center, we ended the day at the Birla Mandir Temple complex.  I was under the impression that the whole complex would be walkable, but they did not allow people up to the Ekalingeshwar Mahadec Temple.  I followed the path, dropped off my shoes in a locker, and walked up to the temple.  Unfortunately, photography was not allowed beyond a certain point, nor were bags.  I took a handful of pictures outside and then peaked my head in though.

  Dinner was at Labrass Lounge at Diggi, a restaurant connected to a five star hotel.  Eating at four and five star hotel restaurants were what guides online recommended for the safest food.  I was the only person seated. I asked for papad ki subzi, but they said that it wasn't available, so I chose adraki dhaniya paneer.  I also ordered orange juice, which might have been what eventually caused me issues, as it was served with ice.  I drank it so fast that I didn't give any thought to it at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment