Friday, August 3, 2018

Switzerland 8: The endless night of Swiss National Day celebrations and my first glacier.

Two nights ago was the night of Swiss National Day.  We were being lazy and staying in the room until we heard cowbells marching down the street below our balcony.



We decided to go out and take a look at the night's festivities.  Kids were out playing soccer while a crowd of people were headed towards a tent behind the tourist information center.  Inside we watched some horn playing.



They had more traditional music that I was not interested in.  I went back to the room while Stephanie stayed to watch fireworks.  I took a few pictures from the room.



Unfortunately, the fireworks didn't end after the official fireworks ended.  People were shooting off random fireworks well past midnight.  It sounded like people were being randomly executed.  It was difficult to sleep.

The next day we left for a 3 hour train ride spread across five different trains, on our way to Fiesch.  Fiesch is the best place to get a good look at the Aletsch Glacier, with a view from a distance of the Fiescher Glacier.  We went up two cable cars, to Eggishorn mountain.  Stephanie went up to the peak, but I did not dare.  Instead, I walked a little whiles down in the other direction.  When we met back up, she confirmed that I would not have liked it.

Fiescher Glacier in the distance.  On the left was the mountain peak that Stephanie walked up to.
While Stephanie walked to the peak, I went down in the other direction.


Afterwards, we just relaxed up there.  I noticed some birds kept flying from one side of me to the other, over the glacier.  I took many pictures with 3/4 camera settings correct.  I didn't realize it until the last few shots.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment