Saturday, September 2, 2017

Dragoncon 2017 Part 1: Registration, Seeing guests, both new and old

I still have not gotten around to updating the blog regarding what we brought home from the six weeks abroad.  Days after I got home, I got a bad cold and I have been feeling off ever since, even though the primary symptoms are gone.

I started going to Dragoncon around 2006.  All told, I have been here roughly between six and eight times.  What I like about dragoncon is that it is a massive fan run convention, that not only does sci fi actors, but does everything else as well.  Being fan run makes a huge difference.  It has sci fi actors, authors, comic writers, artists, regular artists, massive, multifloor vending rooms, an art show, comedians, science panels, space panels, board games, video game panels, a parade that shuts down downtown Atlanta, and much more.   There is something to do at all times of the day and night.

That being said, the convention has grown too big.  What started out as four host hotels has expanded by at least three massive new buildings.  Ticket sales are never limited, and the amount of people coming each year have increased dramatically.  The result is that while we were easily able to stay in one of the host hotels originally, now even the overflow hotels sell out in under 30 minutes from opening reservations.  The prices for the hotels have spiraled out of control.  Fridays at the convention used to be quiet, personal affairs, as Saturday was the first day that most people arrived at the con.  Now, even 10:00 am panels have lines wrapped around the buildings.  The personal moments with the actors and authors that used to occur on occasion, are dwindling as well.  I once spent forty five minutes talking with Richard Hatch(From Battlestar Galactica, who died at age 71 this year).  I do not feel like I will have such moments here again.

I feel that it is time for me to give dragoncon a rest after this trip.  That being said, our first night and day here have been enjoyable.  This is Miles' first trip to Dragoncon.  I did not know what to expect from him.  At first, he was a bit grumpy and uninterested.  Sitting at the panels with actors are not incredibly engaging for him.  Luckily, he found enjoyment in watching people in costumes, looking at the vending rooms, and meeting some of the actors.

We arrived in Atlanta last night, at around 6:00 pm.  We took the train from the airport to a Holiday Inn Express which I had not been to before.  It sold out within thirty minutes and I had to fight with a manager to get a reservation, since someone the day before had told me when to call in.  The lobby was night, the breakfast this morning was amazing, but the room is tiny and a bit musty.  Our hotel last year was nicer, but the internet was slow and the reservation had to be paid in full, with no cancellation option, so I decided to try this place.

I apologize ahead of time for the pictures of the panels.  I should have brought my camera with a better zoom.  Instead, I brought my handheld, which is good in low light, but terrible zoom.  I will be making a separate post with videos that I took from some of the panels.  They will take more time to process and upload.

The registration process on Thursday night was a breeze.  This is one aspect of the convention that they have greatly improved over the years.  They gave out badges in under thirty seconds.



Not only do people at dragoncon dress themselves up, they sometimes even dress up their cars.



Our first panel on Friday morning was to see Nathan Fillion, from Firefly and Castle.  He was his usual charming self and was enjoyable to watch.



Next up was Wallace Shawn.   He is well known for saying "inconceivable" in The Princess Bride.  He was also a teacher in Clueless, and Grand Nagus Zek in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.  He told stories about working with Andre the Giant in The Princess Bride, about his voice work for Toy Story, and how he enjoys writing odd essays and odd plays.  He also explained how when he was on Deep Space Nine, he was called by an executive and told that the show was serious, and that he needed to tone down the way he was playing the character.  The director told him to ignore them and to continue doing what he was doing.



Afterwards, we explored two of the three floors dedicated to vendors selling all shorts of things, from shirts to arts and crafts.



One vendor was selling mewnicorns, a mixture of cats and unicorns.



Next up was a panel on the Flash.  The only show regular, who plays Snow, did not show up, as her flight was delayed.  John Wesley Shipp, who was the original Flash, as well as a recurring guest on the current Flash, was the most interesting, and seemed to genuinely be a nice person.



Lots of people were around the convention in elaborate costumes.




The Star Trek:  The Next Generation panel was a lot of fun, as usual.  Brent Spiner, Data, is hilarious.



Finally, we went to the walk of fame area, where the actors from all over the convention have booths, to give autographs and take photos.  Miles was very excited to meet Data, so we took a picture with Brent Spiner.  Miles was a bit shy and Spiner was incredibly sweet and really engaged Miles.



On the way back to the hotel, I had forgotten that I put my glasses on my hat.  I looked down at something and my glasses fell to the ground, a lens popped out, and then I stepped forcefully on the frame bending it.  I tried bending it back the best I could and put the lens back in.  Then, the other lens fell out because the screw had become loose.  I went to CVS and bought an eyeglasses repair kit.  The glasses aren't perfect, but they will be usable for the rest of the trip.

While I was dealing with my glasses, Miles was with Stephanie at a video game costume contest, which he really enjoyed.  That was it for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment