Thursday, November 14, 2019

Iceland 4: The Lego Church, odd sculptures, and another attempt at the Northern Lights.

Yesterday was a day of recovery.  Or for me, a lot of discomfort.  For some reason my health problems were acting up.  By around 2:00, I forced us out to see the two items in town that most intrigued me.  The first one being the most obvious, Hallgrimskirkja, the church that the town is known for having.  It was beautiful.



Right next door is a small sculpture garden.  It had some pretty odd sculptures, so I loved it, although it was a bit small.  I wished there were more of them.



We went out at night for our second attempt at seeing the northern lights.  This trip went more smoothly, with a clear sky.  As soon as we exited the vehicle, parked fairly far away from the lights of the city, we noticed the band across the sky.  To our eyes it appeared like a band of white cloud.  The camera revealed more colors.  Despite reading up on how to photograph the northern lights, ad previously visiting the museum, it took a while before I was able to get good images.  Unfortunately for me, the first ten minutes had the most activity.  Here are some out of focus pictures of when it was most colorful.



The driver then commented that some people went onto the beach for reflections of the lights in the water.  Miles returned to the bus for warmth and to play on his tablet while I ventured by myself down to the beach.  The beach was brief, before becoming seaweed infested wet rocks.  I used my tripod as a walking stick to slowly make my way to the water.  Over the next hour I took many pictures and tried many different combinations of settings.  The pictures turned out very nice, but there wasn't much movement of the lights within that hour.



For these final two pictures, I aimed a little bit upward to include the big dipper that I saw the night before, but this time with northern lights!

1 comment:

  1. Great post and pictures of northern lights are wonderful. To see this beauty plan your Alaska northern lights tours trip now.

    ReplyDelete